24hrs and the local kitespot is already crowded.


This morning as I was making Molly and I some breakfast I was juggling calls from our friends Mat, Mike and Eric Heath a kiter from Bridgton Maine. Eric caught wind of our escapades yesterday and wanted to know if we we're heading up again and what the conditions were. Mike gave me a surface condition report and also noted that there wasn't any real wind but he was going to go up and give it a shot just to see how it is.

I decided not to push my luck with the surface and there's not a lot of room in the field if you're on a big kite so I wasn't really up to going. After Mike called I got a call from Eric to let me know that he and Seth Merriam (another Bridgton kiter) were heading up to Crawford. I thought "Man, that's going to be tight."

Molly and I decided to just hang close to home and go static flying down at Kennett.


It was a beautiful day out there today and Mike was right, there wasn't much wind. But there was enough to fly in and even get some small boosts. It was great but static flying obviously isn't the same as riding snow so I kept finding myself looking North West towards Mt. Washington and wondering if we were missing out. Could it be that those guys are up there having a rippin session and we're puttering around down here in a grassy field? Nah, I doubt it.

We flew for a while and Sirius got to run around with a couple of other dogs so it was a pretty good time. The wind really died out on us eventually and we packed it up. While I was packing up  Molly and Sirius were heading out. Someone in the other field launched a model rocket. I looked up but didn't see the chute deploy and didn't give it another thought.

I was heading back to the van when I found the rocket embedded in the walkway  so deep I couldn't pull it out. An adult and 2 kids showed up and told me they had a malfunction. I guess they had a malfunction.

I'm glad that thing didn't auger into Molly's noggin when she was walking there.


We packed up and ran into Mike on the way out. We stopped to talk and he gave us the skinny on how his day went. He, Eric and Seth all showed at the same time. The surface conditions were as they were yesterday and the wind was lame. Mike was out there with his 130lbs of skin and bone riding the Ranger 12m and wasn't able to get up the hill. Seth apparently tried his luck with a 12m Flysurfer and didn't fair too well and Eric didn't bother.

At least they got out and tried!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Charged Up about Chargers Pt.1

Patience is a Virtue.

Low Speed and High Tech Pt.2