A Turning Point

It's about time.
Last snowkite season was the worst I'd seen in the last ten years that I've been involved in this nonsense.  It was late getting here, the surface conditions were a mess most of the time and the wind, well there really wasn't any.  Kitestorm didn't have any wind, Mille Lacs didn't have any wind, the wind we had locally was almost always southerly which kinda sucks for a lot of our local spots.  It wasn't like previous years when my "go to" kite was a 13m Venom.  No last season pretty well sucked.  The suckiest suck that ever sucked.

And I would take it over this season in a heartbeat.

The ice situation this year has been non-existent.  We get a cold stretch and then a skim on the smaller lakes then we get hit by a warm stretch and it gets wiped out.  This keeps happening and I won't lie it's starting to feel like a punch in the privates everytime it happens.  My only solice is that we aren't suffering alone and even up in Canada they have the same deal going on.

Apparently winter is in the mood to torture snowkiters, no matter what thier nationality.

It's not all hopeless though, Jim Cline rode a pond outside of Bethel Maine a week ago after skiing 37,000 vert and Sunday River. He's the first one of our riding circles that got out on the ice this year.  He only kited 11 miles but his top speed was 27mph which is a hell of a good first day out for Jim. 

Cline


Chocorua hasn't set up yet.  Usually the first to freeze over around here and it's just barely maintaining a one inch skim.  Fortunately it's been cold these last few nights and we're looking at temps below zero soon.

Yesterday I tried riding in a field. We only have about three inches of fresh powder on top of ground that just recently froze.  We've been out a few times on similar conditions but not with the ground frozen.  It feels exactly as you would imagine it.  Every turn I made had to have a super flat ski or I risked blowing an edge out on the frozen grass, dirt and rocks just under the surface.   I rode for a little while just to get my fix then bagged it before I trashed a ski.

Too bad, the wind was beautiful.



After that quick session I decided to head North to check out Umby and see how the ice is holding up there.  I heard a report last week that it had about 2-3 inches on it but we've had snow since and snow sucks for the ice making process.  There's no way to really know what's going on with a lake without actually checking it out in person.


WRX dash cam.

I opted to keep my gear on and bring my kites in hopes that there was an odd chance of getting out on the ice.


On the way up I passed a place along the Adroscoggin where a lot of people ice fish.  Out on the ice were two guys, each with a beer in one hand and an axe in the other, chopping holes in the ice.  I pulled over and asked how thick it was.  One guy put down his beer, reached in and said it was about 4-5 inches.  Had it been less I probably would have turned aroud there and saved myself the extra 40 minutes drive but this just fueled my optimism that I might get to ride ice today.

I jumped in the car and continued north.

I got to Umby and the wind was blowing straight out of the Northwest at about 10-12mph.  The lake looked awesome but it also looked untouched.  That makes me the test dummy.  I grabbed an ice screw and began making test holes in the ice.  It's a time consuming process but worth it if you want to assess the ice.  And it's not a great assessment either because what could be happening here may NOT be what's happening on the ice a mile of so off shore.

But it can give you some sort of baseline.

My first hole was over 8" of ice.  This was a very good sign.  Iwent out 100' and drilled again, same.  Another 100', another hundred etc. and the thinnest ice I found was 4".  And this is all BLACK ice which is the strongest ice.  I went back to the car and got my gear on.

I decided to fly Big Blue because the wind was dying as I was drilling holes and I didn't want to fall through the ice and be underpowered if I had to self rescue.  This made things a little interesting at first.  I launched, took off along the shoreline at 28mph with Blue directly overhead and me below, skimming, just barely on the ice enough to hold an edge.  I was a wee bit overpowered but happy in the thought that I'm not putting much load on the ice.  I cruised the shoreline for a bit and decided make the leap and head out into the broads.

Big Blue on 30m lines and almost ZERO wind.


After a few passes back and forth across the broads of lower Umby I saw that the ice was at least 3" thick and that a few pressure ridges were beginning to appear.  This was a good sign that the ice was relatively safe.  I maxed out at 35mph in one short light wind sprint and I decided to head north and see if I could get to the farm just before the cut that heads out onto big Umby.  I made it about half way before I turned back as the wind was quickly calling it quits on me. One thing I've noticed about Arcs in bigger sizes. They seem very resistant to the effects of weight like other kites in large sizes. If you get Blue in the air she tends to stay there.If it wasn't for Blue I would have been stuck out there which was the last thing I wanted to do.

 It's one thing to kite, at speed, over thin ice.  It's another to have to skate without a kite in the air to save you if things go bad.

So, I'm happy in the fact that the season has finally reached a turning point and is actually starting to happen.  We have some rain comming and then a hefty cold snap so that will clean the ice off and give us thicker ice afterwards which will be awesome.  Hopefully some localized ice will appear and we won't have to travel so far to get the goods.  But in the meantime we can at least get out and ride. 

That's all for now.  Sirius is telling me it's time to go out and drop his payload so on that note.....

Snow nose.


Comments

  1. Sounds too familiar! It's been sheer torture in WI as well. Waiting for the ice to set up some more before venturing out. My favorite lake has some ski-able ice, but still spots of open water in the deeper portions. Just a weird start of winter here as well. Cold snap expected to arrive shortly, sooo I guess we all have to wait a tad longer. They say patience is a virtue, but I think I've lost that one already.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All Charged Up about Chargers Pt.1

Patience is a Virtue.

Low Speed and High Tech Pt.2